Welcome to Why 60 Miles
Hi, my name is Cathy Miller.
For over a decade, I have been participating in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk for the Cure. If you haven’t heard of the event, it is a 60-mile walk over three days.
Yes, you read that right – 60 miles – 3 days. Walkers raise funds with net proceeds going towards breast cancer research and community programs.
I was over the age of 50 when I signed up for my first Walk. I never planned beyond that first 60 miles. Now, I simply cannot walk away.
My inspiration was my sister, Terry, who had been diagnosed with breast cancer. I am happy to report that she has been a survivor for over a dozen years.
Since my first Walk in 2003, my 60th birthday has come and gone. And still I walk.
- 60 miles
- 3 days
I have met the most wonderful people and heard incredible stories – united by a single cause – to find a cure for cancer.
I’d like to share their stories, a bit of my own, and I invite you to share yours as well. This site (like life) is a work-in-progress. My plan includes the following.
I captured some of my 3-Day Walk experience in blog posts, originally posted at MillerCathy.com: A Baby Boomer’s Second Life.
Those posts created this blog’s first category – 3-Day Walk for the Cure. Other post categories I am considering include:
- Share Your Story– I envision a combination of print, audio, and visual stories from individuals affected by cancer, including survivors, family, and friends.
- Passion Pundit – This category is an excuse for me to share my passion about this journey. Just think of it as one of the nice perks of owning your own blog. I hope you let me know if I slip too much into pontificating.
- Cancer News – I’ll share interesting news story related to cancer treatment, studies or other related news. I hope you will share your news stories as well.
I share links to resources for cancer-related information.
Note: I am not a physician. Nothing on this site is intended to offer medical advice, treatment or services for you or any other individual. The resources provide general information for educational purposes only. This site and links to other sites do not substitute for professional care. You should seek the advice of your physician or other healthcare provider.
My Zazzle store, Old Lady Walking, is under construction as I line its virtual shelves with fun products. You can get a sneak peek and even make a purchase of any of the items already stocked at the Old Lady Walking site.
Thanks to my wonderful graphic designer, ArtboyGrafix, for the cool caricature that somehow bears a striking resemblance to this old lady.
As long as this 60-year-old-plus body allows me, I will continue to participate in the 3-Day Walk for the Cure. As I mentioned, we are required to raise funds to qualify as a walker. The store will (in part) help me raise those funds, and will include the following.
- Cancer awareness merchandise – No matter which event you participate in, walkers, runners, volunteers love what my sister, Terry calls neat junk. Pins, hats, posters, mugs, jewelry, etc.
- Boomer Humor – Much of the same merchandise but with a boomer humor twist. Check out the merchandise and poke fun at your favorite baby boomer – especially if that boomer is you.
In my day job, I am a freelance business writer. I also plan on sharing books about my experience and tips for virgin walkers or the over-50 crowd. Hey, they say write about what you know. I hope the books put a smile on your face and in your heart.
As we take this journey together, I imagine we will see quite a few changes. But, then I have never been one who wanted my travels mapped out in advance.
Let’s kick cancer to the curb and share a journey that means so much more.
Are you in?
If you’d like to get in touch, click Contact Cathy or on my Contact Cans in the sidebar. I’d love to hear from you.
And, of course, I WELCOME Comments on blog posts. I look forward to chatting with you.